The 78rpm Home Page - General Discographies
This is the monumental work by Tom Lord. Anyone who is the least bit interested in knowing
recording dates, personnel, takes, material that was recorded but not issued, etc., NEEDS this!
FULLY indexed and searchable! 42,800 Leaders, over 212,500 recording sessions, over 1,210,000 musician entries and over 1,300,000 tune entries.
Every field in the database can be searched individually or in groups with a selection dialog box.
Catalog your own collection using this tool with the ONLINE VERSION. Subscribe today or give
a 12 month subscription as a gift. For the collector who thinks they have everything to the collector who wants to save time to
the collector who wants to know who is playing on recordings. This online work is updated nearly daily.
...In Book Form
- American Dance Band Discography 1917-1942 (2 volumes) - by Brian Rust - Arlington House Publishers
- Blues and Gospel Records 1902-1942 - 3rd Edition (a new edition is imminent)- by RMW Dixon & J Godrich (1982)
- British Dance Bands on Record 1911-1945 - by Brian Rust and Sandy Forbes - Storyville, 1989(?)
- British Music Hall Discography - by Brian Rust
- Canadian Jazz Discography (1916-1980) - by J. Litchfield (1994?)
- Complete Entertainment Discography 1942 - by Brian Rust. Arlington House Publishers
- Ethnic Music on Records 1942 - by Richard K. Spottswood - 7 vols. University of Illinois Press at Urbana
- Jazz Discographies (19 volumes - 2 Modern, 12 Swing, 5 Progressive - thru 1980) - by Walter Bruyninckx
- Jazz Records 1897-1942 - by Brian Rust. This is the bible of pre-'42 jazz record collectors. A newly edited and typeset edition, edited by Malcolm Shaw with input from John R. T. Davies, Howard Rye, and other experts. Be sure to purchase the accompanying index volume.
- Jazz Records 1942-1980 (2 volumes) - by Jorgen Grunnet Jepsen
- Jazz Records 1942-1980 (11 volumes and counting for the revision to the above) - by Erik Raben and Ole J. Nielsen - 1995/6
- Mainspring Press offers many label discographies and period recording history books and references.
- Joyce Discographies (One discog per artist) - obtainable from Joyce Record Club Publications Division of the Metolius Music Company, Box 25802, Portland, OR. 97298. Telephone and FAX: 503-292-2281.
- Moanin' Low - a listing of all female popular vocal recordings made 1920-1933 - by Ross Laird. Greenwood Press, 1997
- New Hot Discography (Latest edition is 1948 - 3rd printing) - by Charles Delaunay - Criterion Music Corp, Publisher, 1963
- New Orleans, The Revival - by Tom Stagg and Charlie Crump - Bashall Caves Publication, 1973
- World's Encycopedia of Recorded Music (reasonably complete listing of ALL electric classical issues worldwide 1925-1955) - Greenwood Press
- The Orchestra on Record, 1896-1926: An Encyclopedia of Orchestral Recordings Made by the Acoustical Process by Claude Graveley Arnold, C.S.B. - Greenwood Press, 1997
- Almost Complete 78 RPM Record Dating Guide (II) (Mostly pre-1943) - by Steven C. Barr - Yesterday Once Again Pub., 1992
- The American 45 and 78 Rpm Record Dating Guide, 1940-1959 - by William R. Daniels - Greenwood Publishing Group, 1985
- Popular American Recording Pioneers: 1895-1925 by Frank Hoffmann and Tim Gracyk - Haworth Press, 2000
- Date About all Those English Seventy-eights - by Eddie Shaw - published by the author, 1995
- American Record Label Directory and Dating Guide (Post 1940) - by G. Gart (1994?)
- American Premium Record Guide (1900-1965 values, 78,45,LP) - by Les R. Docks - 6th Ed. - Books Americana, 2001
- American Record Label Book (pre-1943) - by Brian Rust - Arlington House Pub., 1978
- The Collector's Guide To Victor Records - by , in collaboration with William R. Moran and Kurt R. Nauck III - Monarch Record Enterprises, Dallas, 1992). Read our review.
- Complete Encyclopedia of Popular Music (4 volumes of lists) - by Roger D. Kinkle - Arlington House Pub., 1974)
- Dance bands, Big Band and Swing: Buyers-Sellers (values) - by Alice Rogers - Jellyroll Productions, 1993
- Directory of American Disc Record Brands and Manufacturers, 1891-1943 - by Allan Sutton (2000). Co-authored by Kurt R. Nauck III, it includes a CD-ROM (Windows only) containing 1,114 searchable, full-color label illustrations. This is the replacement work for "American Record Label Book"
- Guide to Pseudonyms on American Recordings, 1892-1942 - by Allan Sutton (1993)
Some information courtesy of the late Howard F Rasch,
Colin Bray, and
This list is by no means exhaustive. Additions/corrections welcomed.