The 78rpm Home Page - General Discographies
This is the monumental work by Tom Lord. Anyone who is the least bit interested in knowing
recording dates, personnel, which record companies and catalog numbers issued it, takes, material that was recorded but not issued, etc., NEEDS this!
This work/tool is fully indexed and searchable! 450,000 jazz releases on 78, 45, LP and CD. 42,800 Leaders, over 212,500 recording sessions, over 1,210,000 musician entries and over 1,300,000 tune entries.
Every field in the database can be searched individually or in groups with a selection dialog box.
Catalog your record collection with a couple of mouse clicks per session using the online version! You will be able to then search and sort your collection, just like the full database! Go back and forth between your own collection and the full database for comparison. If you do not need to use the cataloging system it can be used to create a Want List of recordings you are looking to get. Either your Catalog or Want List will be neatly summarized and can be sorted by 6 different criteria, including Leader and Record Company.
Subscribe today or give a 12 month subscription as a gift. For the collector who has everything to the collector who wants to save time to
the collector who wants to know who is playing on recordings. This online work is updated daily, sometimes several times a day.
...In Book Form
- Allan Sutton's Mainspring Press offers many label discographies, exhaustive record company histories and period recording history books and references. Wonderfully researched and covering a variety of topics!
- American Dance Band Discography 1917-1942 (2 volumes) - by Brian Rust - Arlington House Publishers
- Blues and Gospel Records 1902-1942 - 3rd Edition (a new edition is imminent)- by RMW Dixon & J Godrich (1982)
- British Dance Bands on Record 1911-1945 - by Brian Rust and Sandy Forbes - Storyville, 1989(?)
- British Music Hall Discography - by Brian Rust
- Canadian Jazz Discography (1916-1980) - by J. Litchfield (1994?)
- Collector's Guide To Victor Records - by , in collaboration with William R. Moran and Kurt R. Nauck III - Monarch Record Enterprises, Dallas, 1992). Read our review. He also has one for COLUMBIA!
- Complete Entertainment Discography 1942 - by Brian Rust. Arlington House Publishers
- Ethnic Music on Records 1942 - by Richard K. Spottswood - 7 vols. University of Illinois Press at Urbana
- Jazz Discographies (19 volumes - 2 Modern, 12 Swing, 5 Progressive - thru 1980) - by Walter Bruyninckx
- Jazz Records 1897-1942 - by Brian Rust. This is the bible of pre-'42 jazz record collectors. A newly edited and typeset edition, edited by Malcolm Shaw with input from John R. T. Davies, Howard Rye, and other experts. Be sure to purchase the accompanying index volume.
- Jazz Records 1942-1980 (2 volumes) - by Jorgen Grunnet Jepsen
- Jazz Records 1942-1980 (11 volumes and counting for the revision to the above) - by Erik Raben and Ole J. Nielsen - 1995/6
- Joyce Discographies! Available here,
and here (One discog per artist) from Joyce Record Club Publications Division of the Metolius Music Company, Box 25802, Portland, OR. 97298. Telephone and FAX: 503-292-2281.
- Moanin' Low - a listing of all female popular vocal recordings made 1920-1933 - by Ross Laird. Greenwood Press, 1997
- New Hot Discography (Latest edition is 1948 - 3rd printing) - by Charles Delaunay - Criterion Music Corp, Publisher, 1963
- New Orleans, The Revival - by Tom Stagg and Charlie Crump - Bashall Caves Publication, 1973
- World's Encycopedia of Recorded Music (reasonably complete listing of ALL electric classical issues worldwide 1925-1955) - Greenwood Press
- The Orchestra on Record, 1896-1926: An Encyclopedia of Orchestral Recordings Made by the Acoustical Process by Claude Graveley Arnold, C.S.B. - Greenwood Press, 1997
- Almost Complete 78 RPM Record Dating Guide (II) (Mostly pre-1943) - by Steven C. Barr - Yesterday Once Again Pub., 1992
- The American 45 and 78 Rpm Record Dating Guide, 1940-1959 - by William R. Daniels - Greenwood Publishing Group, 1985
- Popular American Recording Pioneers: 1895-1925 by Frank Hoffmann and Tim Gracyk - Haworth Press, 2000
- Date About all Those English Seventy-eights - by Eddie Shaw - published by the author, 1995
- American Record Label Directory and Dating Guide (Post 1940) - by G. Gart (1994?)
- American Premium Record Guide (1900-1965 values, 78,45,LP) - by Les R. Docks - 6th Ed. - Books Americana, 2001
- Complete Encyclopedia of Popular Music (4 volumes of lists) - by Roger D. Kinkle - Arlington House Pub., 1974)
Some information courtesy of the late Howard F Rasch,
Colin Bray, and
This list is by no means exhaustive. Additions/corrections welcomed.