The 78rpm Record Home Page - Links
LINKS: Other Places Of Interest
Informative Articles and Specialists
- Styli (needle/stylus) for playing 78s
- Forgotten Opera singers
- Bill Boslaugh's blog on shellac topics (78 RPM)
- More 78 and cylinder info is at the Wolverine Antique Music Society.
- Allan Sutton's Mainspring Press has a number of excellent articles online about the various 78 companies
- Enter the delightfully low-tech world of early recorded sound at the Early Recorded Sounds & Wax Cylinders pages at tinfoil.com
- Tim Gracyk's Antique Record Machine
- The Guide to 78 R.P.M. Party Records is packed with information and label scans of Party records.
- Australian and New Zealand 78's
- Vintage Jazz and Dance Music on 78rpm Records pages show shops, magazines, fairs, clubs, books, radio, and collectors contacts mainly in the UK
- Don't hit your brother over the head with that record! The Kiddie Record King might need it.
- You never know what you're going to get collecting home recording discs
- Recording Technology History
- Wikipedia's History of sound recording
- Learn about matrix, master, stampers, takes and the like of UK record labels at Norman Field's and 78 RPM Community pages.
- See more antique talking machines at The Edison Shop
- Narrative told by Edward Wallerstein about the development of the LP record in 1948. Also,
pioneer audio engineer John T. Mullin discusses the development of Tape in the US.
- The Beatles on 78rpm?
- Society of Indian record collectors
- The Boy Choir and Soloist Directory's 78 page is extensive. Who knew there were so many?! You might have a few.
- Make yourself a strobe disc (windows/dos) - not my software - unsupported
- 78 RPM Club has lots of label scans and brief histories of each.
- Transfer 78s to digital using tips from this guide, from the serious to the not-so serious.
- A Portfolio of Ellington 78 RPM Labels courtesy of the The Dooji Collection and others.
- Mento music site has nice scans of very rare Jamaican mento 78's.
- Blues World offers multiple auctions, interesting articles on blues musicians, and label scans
- The Red Hot Jazz Archive page has extensive bios, reviews, music, etc..
- Listen to sounds clips and browse a cassette catalog of the music of our early century at the Vintage Cassette Recording Catalog page
- Old Time Victrola Music Message Board at tapatalk page.
- HV Records and the Ragtime Press
- Vaudeville springs to life at Carl's Vaudeville & Ragtime Show
- All about Ragtime music
- Originals Project, a little research page showing original recorded versions of many pop tunes.
- You knew they could do it - a laser turntable. Now spins at 30-50 and 60-90 RPM!
- Music Encyclopedias: AMG - All-Music Guide
- Music Resource list from Indiana University
- Virtual Radiogram pages of theatre organ records and broadcasts 50+ years old.
- Victor-Victrola pages show and collect information on the various record players made by Victor and RCA.
- lp2cd.com - Company does restoration and transfers of many formats to CD.
- SoundSaver.com - Company does restoration and transfers of many formats to CD for very picky customers.
- VideoInterchange.com - Company does transfers and restoration of many audio and video formats to more modern formats. He also has an excellent article on stylus selection.
- Oldies Made Goodies (UK) - Company does transfers of many formats to CD.
- removenoise.com - Company does noise, hiss, pop & click elimination from your MP3's.
- FlexiMusic - Software for audio editing, recording and composing for professional and home music makers.
Libraries, University Collections, and Museums
Clubs and Organizations
- ARSC (Association for Recorded Sound Collections)
- Vintage Jazz Mart.
- Joslyn's Jazz Journal - PO Box 213, Parsons, KS 67357. Phone 316-421-4114
Links to music and other sites